Friday, November 5, 2010

CARNIVORES: Coyote Stories - Part III

To my best recollection (digital stores so much more information than film) it was January of 1995. I was driving along the Columbia Icefield,  near the boundary of Banff and Jasper National Parks. This is an incredibly scenic road that passes over one hundred visible glaciers, turquoise lakes, rushing waterfalls --- or icefalls --- and numerous hiking trails, picnic spots and campgrounds. It is about a 3 1/2 hour drive between Jasper and Banff. I must admit, that as a Wildlife Photographer I much prefer Jasper to Banff. Jasper is a little more remote, more back roads, and a tenth of as many people. Banff is a little more "upscale" and reminds me more of some of the Ski Resorts in Colorado: Vail, Aspen, Breckinridge, etc. And Lake Louise (just outside of Banff) is one of the most beautiful spots in the world. But, I am an two and a half hours away from Banff driving along the Icefield when I see a Coyote out in the middle of the Icefield just lying down on the ice. As I get out of the car, the coyote gets up and starts walking parallel to the road. So, I walk parallel to him. After a couple hundred yards he starts walking toward the road. I continue to take photos, changing film as I go. Eventually, he crossed the road about 30 feet in front of me. I like this particular series of photos because of the different color and background contrasts. The last photo almost looks like a photo of a domestic dog at a beach. But, it is all ice and it is the same Coyote.










No comments:

Post a Comment