Wednesday, November 3, 2010

CARNIVORES: Coyote Stories

Since we have guests staying with us from the Calgary, Alberta area I thought I would start "Coyote Stories" with one from Alberta. We are going back to 1998, when I was driving along the Athabasca River in Alberta heading from Jasper to Banff. I saw this Coyote along the riverbank. When I pulled over to the side of the road and got out of the truck, this Coyote came towards me. Not directly, but more curiously and serpentinely. I was afraid that maybe someone had fed him and the Coyote thought I would do the same. (Of course I don't. Never have. Never will). I hoped that wasn't the case, but he certainly was curious and unafraid. But, I also need to say -- as I start "Coyote Stories" -- that Coyotes have been treated with disrespect over the past century, and I can't for the life of me figure out "why?" Coyotes are gorgeous. Look at this Coyote in these photos. Coyotes are not dangerous. There have been only two deaths from Coyote attacks in all of North America in the last 40 years. In one case (California), it was a toddler that had been left alone. In the other case (Nova Scotia), authorities are convinced that it was a mixed breed coyote-wolf. On the other hand, in the US alone, on average, 1008 children under the age of 13 are treated in emergency rooms every single day for domestic dog bites/attacks. I don't mean to offend dog owners/lovers. I just would like a little more perspective and appreciation for the beauty,  intelligence, and peaceful nature of the Coyote.




No comments:

Post a Comment