Sunday, November 14, 2010

CARNIVORES: Wolf Stories Part III

I know what you are thinking. Am I ever going to show you a decent photo of a wolf. The answer is "sort-of" and "maybe". Today, is the "sort-of". Again I was in Yellowstone Park, this time in Hayden Valley which runs along the Yellowstone River. I saw a hundred or more ravens circling a couple hundred yards from the road. I assumed something was going on. As I reached the closest point from the road I noticed several vehicles parked along the shoulder with no one in sight. I suspected it was going to be a bit of a trek up and over a pretty steep hill. So, with camera and tripod in hand off I trotted. When I got to the top of the hill there were several photographers perched so they could get a good photo. Oh, what was it? It was a fully grown male Grizzly Bear (probably 1200 pounds) eating a Bison that had fallen. I wanted to walk down the other side to get closer, but it just didn't seem like a good idea at the time. After a couple of quick photos, I looked closer there was a Grey Wolf sitting about 75 yards away; waiting his turn. So, a couple more photos. (I was trying to conserve film since I was on my last roll). Then sure enough, after about 45 minutes, the Grizzly Bear ambled away, passing the oncoming Grey Wolf. I was thrilled to get both the Grizzly Bear and the Grey Wolf in the same shot, although from a greater distance than I would have liked. The Wolf ate for about 30 minutes then left. I waited another hour and a half thinking the Wolf might come back with the pack. But, not within that timeframe.  I only had a half dozen shots remaining on the roll, so, I decided to head for the nearest "town" (Fishing Bridge) to get more film. By the time I got back to that spot, there were no cars around. So, I figured "nothing more to see." That was probably a rationalization because I didn't want to trek back up that hill with an 8 pound camera and a five pound tripod again just to see a half-eaten bison. Once that day was enough. Of course, thinking back now, I probably should have made the trek, and waited until dark, if necessary, to try to get more photos. Someone (some thing) surely would have come along. It was too big a meal to pass up. Here are the photos:

Grizzly eating Bison

Grey Wolf slowing walking past "full" Grizzly

Grey Wolf now trotting to dinner

Grey Wolf now eating dinner

Grey Wolf checking to see if others are coming

No comments:

Post a Comment