Friday, November 26, 2010

CARNIVORES: Bear Stories - Part VI

I have mentioned before my "process" for getting close to and photographing Bears. The key is to have a "kind heart." I am convinced that Bears sense danger ---- and, fear. This "sense" or "scents" triggers a "flee" or "fight" response. Back in the late nineties, I was in British Columbia when I came across a Black Bear and her three cubs.  I did everything properly: 1) I made sure that the mom knew I was present; 2) I made no quick or sudden movements; 3) I didn't move until the mom started eating; 4) when I moved I took small diagonal steps; 5) if the mom stopped and looked at me, I stopped and looked at her, then away, then at her; 6) I had "love" in my heart. Because it was a dense forest, I needed to move around a bit to get clear photos. It didn't take long, maybe 15-20 minutes, and mom seemed comfortable with me around. The cubs couldn't care less, paying no attention to me whatsoever ...... until I broke a twig while taking a step. Those three cubs were up trees in a flash. The mother immediately turned to see what had scared her cubs. Realizing it was me, I decided to slowly back away to give her and her cubs more room. As I did, the cubs came down their trees and scampered off with mom. While breaking the twig was not deliberate, it did provide me with a nice photo:

No comments:

Post a Comment